Follow these guidelines when creating your virtual server base image.
- Create a base image for each OS you plan to use (Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition, 32-bit, 64-bit, and so forth).
- Configure the base image with 512MB of memory and one 20GB SCSI disk, but don't preallocate the disk space on the guest virtual server.
- Complete the OS installation.
- Install the virtual server add-ins. (On VMware, the add-ins are called VMware Tools; on Virtual Server, they're called Virtual Machine Additions.)
- Install the latest service pack.
- Install all critical updates.
- Configure the network card to obtain an IP address with DHCP.
- Leave the server in the workgroup.